I have covered already a couple of the top brands on this blog, these articles are linked to on the brand names below. This report is a great overview and supplies information on lesser known brands. Also the fact that there is a value on the brands, allows them to be put in perspective.
top 25 of Brazilian brands
Values in million reals (1R$ = 0.5 euro)
- Itaú - R$20.651 - Financial services
- Bradesco - R$12.381 - Financial services
- Petrobras - R$10.805 - Energy
- Banco do Brasil - R$10.497 - Financial services
- Skol - R$6.593 - Food and beverage
- Natura - R$4.652 - Cosmetics
- Brahma - R$3.607 - Food and beverage
- Antartica - R$1.753 - Food and beverage
- Vivo - R$1.468 - Telecommunications
- Renner - R$780 - Retail
- Embratel - R$730 - Telecommunications
- Banrisul - R$645 - Financial services
- Lojas Americanas - R$601 - Retail
- Cyrela - R$545 - Real estate
- Oi - R$472 - Telecommunications
- Braskem - R$449 - Petrochemical
- TAM - R$347 - Airlines
- Net - R$294 - Telecommunications
- Marisa - R$196 - Retail
- Hering - R$144 - Apparel
- Gafisa - R$129 - Real estate
- Havaianas - R$113 - Apparel
- Gol - R$108 - Airlines
- Positivo - R$103 - Technology
- Lopes - R$87 - Real estate
Most of the top brands are banks. The reason they are there is that they are well spread over Brazil and financially perform well.
B2B brands of Brazil like Vale, have been hit harder by the economic criss. Dropping commodity prices have put profits under pressure which affects their valuation.
There also is a big difference in value between the top 6 and the rest. Most of these brands are part of big international groups. They truly play on a global level already.
Apart from the ranking, the report also includes a short description of every brand.